Friday, October 7, 2011



Word of the Day for Thursday, October 6, 2011


druthers \DRUHTH-erz\, noun:


One's own way, choice, or preference.


And if I had my druthers, I'd druther the B.O. repeal ObamaCare, eliminate or massively downsize most government agencies like the EPA, and then immediately resign from office; now that would be a real jobs program!

--Spy Maker, JSA's Blog


"You mean if I had my druthers? Why, if I had my druthers I'd druther eat speckledly gravy," Dove assured him.-- Nelson Algren, A Walk on the Wild Side


"Like I say, I think George would go right on living in the house if he had his druthers," Judy Diment said.-- Stephen King, Everything's Eventual


Druthers comes from a jocular American English formation of the phrase "I'd ruther" meaning "I'd rather."

No comments: