Friday, August 19, 2011



Word of the Day for Friday, August 19, 2011


runic \ROO-nik\, adjective:


1. Having some secret or mysterious meaning.

2. Consisting of or set down in runes.

3. Referring to an interlaced form seen on ancient monuments, metalwork, etc., of the northern European peoples.


So the B.O. goes into a magic shop on Martha's Vineyard and asks the clerk for a Runic Cube. "Don't you mean a Rubik's Cube, Mr. B.O.?" the clerk asked. "No, I want a Runic Cube. I lost my other one and I can't run the country without it. The thing looks like a big black 8-ball and it gives me the answers I need!"

--Spy Maker, JSA's Blog


And he dances, and he yells; keeping time, time, time, in a sort of runic rhyme.-- Edgar Allan Poe, The Bells


To that end, he hid the secret in this runic code.-- James Rollins, Black Order: A Sigma Force Novel


Runic comes from the Old English rūn, "secret."

No comments: